EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2011 PREVIEW - SEMI FINAL TWO

Bosnia & Herzegovina - A nice catchy tune to start this semi-final.  A strong beat and loads of support from the music track.  Background vocals compliment the lead vocals well.  A good song performed well.  May suffer from performing first.  7/10
 
Austria -  A strong vocalist and a strong ballad if her voice holds up with the nerves. 6/10

The Netherlands - I think this song is more of an album filler rather than an attention grabber.  Doesn't hold my attention enough and an early position could spell doom for The Netherlands yet again.  4/10

Belgium - Thought I was listening to Latvia's Cosmos from 2006 again!  They didn't do well and neither will Belgium! 2/10

Slovakia - Nice song, similar in style to the American trio Wilson Phillips.  As I like Wilson Phillips, I also like this song.  6/10

Ukraine - For me, Ukraine have sent really interesting songs for the last five years. Unfortunately, this year, I don't like it as much. Seems to be trying to shout to be heard over the music.  4/10

Moldova - Oh dear Moldova! Enough said! 1/10

Sweden - Ok, Boney M's Rasputin drumbeat to start, followed by something sounding like it's out of X-files.  Good disco track. 8/10

Cyprus - Is going to suffer big time for following Sweden.  Could be the space for my planned toilet break!  Didn't capture my attention sorry. 3/10

Bulgaria - Like the tune. The changes in the tune keeps you interested, but will it stand out enough?  I think it's an outsider for the final.  6/10

FYR Macedonia - Really interesting intro.  Unfortunately, it's downhill as soon as they start singing.  3/10

Israel - Dana International returns to Eurovision.  Hope they've padded the stage just in she repeats her fall!  A light pop tune turns into an anthemic tune.  I didn't like it to start with, but it's growing on me.  Just think Dana's voice just doesn't suit the song in parts of the song.  7/10

Slovenia - Have had to listen to this song a few times to give an opinion on it.  Sometimes  I like it, sometimes I don't and I just can't put my finger on why.  Due to this, I think it may suffer. 5/10

Romania - Good catchy tune - another foot tapper.  Could do with quietening the big beat a bit as sometimes it takes the attention away from the song.  7/10

Estonia - Good song and one of the bookmakers favourites.  Think success depends on the stage presentation of the song.  8/10

Belarus - When you look at the title "I love Belarus", it doesn't inspire you with confidence.  The opening doesn't... that's until the chorus!  That chorus is very good and could get the crowd on their feet.  7/10

Latvia - Coming to the end of a show, I think songs really have to stand out to grab your waining attention.  I'm afraid the song didn't do enough for me to do that.  4/10

Denmark -  I like this song.  It's different enough to  stand out.  I just hope the stage performance doesn't let it down.  7/10

Ireland -  Jedward is very well known in the UK after taking part in X-Factor.  I hated them in X-Factor as they act like spoilt brats.  When Ireland selected them, I couldn't believe it!  But their song is really good.  Just hope they act professional enough that they don't lose votes through their behaviour.  8/10

As I said I was disappointed with the quality of songs in semi 1.  It's hard to describe semi 2's overall quality.  Overall, I think semi 2 is the better one but it doesn't have some of the stand-out songs that semi 1 had.

Who will qualify?  I will go with....
1. Sweden
2. Ireland
3. Estonia
4. Denmark
5. Belarus
6. Romania
7. Israel
8. Bosnia & Herzegovina
9. Slovakia
10. Austria

As always with Eurovision, upsetting the apple cart could be... Ukraine and Moldova.  This could be at the expense of either Austria, Slovakia or Belarus.

Agree? Disagree?  Let us know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just a Quick Note to our readers to say.......

Looking back

Why?!