Congratulations to Azerbaijan

Well it's the day after Eurovision day!  Eurovision 2011 is in the history books and it's time to look back at the contest and look forward to next year.  I suppose today is the day that every Eurovision fan dreads..... the hangover from yesterday and it's the longest point until next years contest! Hee Hee

I have to say that I really enjoyed last night show and I think it was one of the strongest finals in recent years.  This was obviously reflected in the scoring, which was very close up until the last few juries. 

So lets start off with talking about the presentation of the show....  As far as I'm concerned, the German's didn't really do a good job of presentation.  There was a lot of "padding out" of the show which it really didn't need.  The comic punch reappeared from the semi-final even though it looked stupid in the semi.  I also think that Anke and Stefan were trying to hog the limelight a bit too much and left Judith out. After all, three is a crowd!

A lot of the sound problems that dogged the semi-finals appeared to have gone, but there was still a few countries that had problems.  One of those was the UK, who at points of the song were singing, but you could barely hear what they were singing.  It was also the first time in recent years that the start of a song was delayed due to problems.

The biggest disappointment of the night for me was the interval act.  Usually, the host country puts on a show to showcase their national identity.  Germany put on a singer Jan Delay, who apparently is quite well known in German speaking countries.  It was drab!  I was so glad when it was over.

Now on to my favourites on the night.....

It was a strong start to the night with Finland.  I think that they suffered from being the opening song, but was still a really nice song.

How did Hungary finish so low?!  This was the biggest surprise of the contest for me.  After Kati's performance, I really did think that she would be a top 5 finisher.

Ireland's overall performance was ok and they got a good top 10 finish.  I think they would have got higher they would have sorted out the issues with the female backing singers taking over the song at points.

Probably my favourite song/performance on the night was Lena's for Germany.  I just don't think it was suited enough for Eurovision.  It was a solid performance and a great cool song.  A top 10 finish was still a good result for them.

A standout song on the CD, Azerbaijan disappointed me in the semi-final with a below par performance.  I'm afraid their performance in the final wasn't the best either, but voters saw past their performance and voted for them.  The song deserved it's winning position, so well done to Azerbaijan.

Another country that will be licking their wounds today will be Estonia.  A really nice and light song with a good performance certainly didn't deserve the position they ended up in. 

To finish, I'd just like to congratulate all performers in this year's contest, finalists and semi-finalists who didn't qualify for making this year such a good one.  Well done!

Baku 2012 it is then!!!!!! :-)

The voting went well this year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just a Quick Note to our readers to say.......

Looking back

Why?!