My Opinion of Semi Final 1

I have spent the last couple of days listening to all of this years songs which are going to Baku. This is my opinion of Semi Final 1.

Now on to the songs:-

1 - Montenegro - Well what an opener. An awful song really which should not go any further. Im still wondering what the Montenegrins were thinking when they agreed to send this song.

2 - Iceland - Thought that in Icelandic the song was brilliant but in English it is awesome and doesn’t lose any of its appeal. This for me is a dark horse for winning the overall contest.

3 - Greece - First impressions were OMG not again. This for me is what is becoming a typical Greek entry......... lots of dancing and no doubt will have a big performance on stage.

4 - Latvia - I was not overly impressed when this was announced as the song to represent Latvia. However this has grown on me and quite strongly.

5 - Albania - When I first heard this I loved it but now when I hear it amongst the other songs in the semi final Im not sure.

6 - Romania - Now I do like this song. However when it first comes on I want to start humming the theme tune to Dallas and then I want to dance the Lambada. It is a catchy song and will once again put Romania through to the final.

7 - Switzerland - The first of the boybands and I have to admit the boybands this year are really good. This is my 2nd favourite of the boybands and I have to say there is a slight resemblance in sound to the early Simple Minds and U2.

8 - Belgium - A lovely ballad sung very well........ I think this is going to split the votes. It will either qualify brilliantly or fail miserably.

9 - Finland - Placing themselves right in the middle of the draw......... even with a beautiful song I’m not sure that this was the right thing to do. This song I enjoyed listening to when it qualified and now I love it but not sure its enough to qualify.

10 - Israel - Love it.... not a winner...... but I love it. So seventies it fab.

11 - San Marino - So by bringing Ralph Siegel back they thought they were on to a good thing. Mmmmmm.... not so sure. Its catchy and could probably scrape through to the final..... For me personally this is the worst of the 3 songs sent by San Marino.

12 - Cyprus - A couple of weak years and now the Cypriots are back with a vengeance and could have their best placing in years.

13 - Denmark - Shades of Anna Bergdahl here but a sure fire qualifier from Denmark.... not a winner but will be in Top 10 once again.

14 - Russia - My eldest son loves this song and says it will win. I think a few sympathy votes here for the grannies might just cause a scare to the top of the scoreboard at the end of the Saturday night..........

15 - Hungary - For me the worst of the boybands. A good song and could sneak into the final at the cost of some of the better songs.

16 - Austria - After last years classic song they send this. I have to say its becoming my guilty pleasure even though they are not going to qualify and think Austria will more than likely spit the dummy out the pram again and withdraw.

17 - Moldova - Now then this for me is their best song ever at Eurovision. Its not going to set the scoreboard alight but will be top half of the right hand side on the Saturday night.

18 - Ireland - Jedward once again and with a better song in my opinion than Lipstick. This reminds me a little bit of the sound of Savage Garden but a cheaper version.


I know that Colin has already given a list of whom I think will qualify but it will change over the next few weeks. So at the moment my top 10 from this semi final are:-

Iceland
Greece
Romania
Belgium
Finland
Israel
Cyprus
Denmark
Russia
Ireland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just a Quick Note to our readers to say.......

Semi-final One lineup

Back from a long, long break and ESC18 thoughts