Second Semi Final - My Thoughts

After listening to the first semi final for this years Eurovision Song Contest in the order of performance I thought that I had better do the same with the Second Semi Final, which with the countries involved you would think is the stronger of the 2, however I don’t think it is.

Croatia start the proceedings off with another haunting folky type ballad and I think it works, this is for me their best entry in several years. For me this is the second best entry from the former Yugoslav republics behind Bosnia & Herzegovina.
Next we move to Ireland and after a blooming great turkey of a song last year they seem to be back on track and have sent what I think is an absolute corker of a song and a very Kelly Clarkson sounding song, I am not sure this is an overall winner but definately think a spot in the final is on the cards for the most successful Eurovision country. However the downfall for Ireland is they are singing second!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Latvia come next and it reminds me slightly of Arnis Mendis and his 2001 entry, the only difference is I liked that one and I can’t warm to this song at all. Maybe it will get some Baltic votes.....well of course it will Lithuania and Estonia are both in this Semi Final too!!
For me song number 4 is one of the worst this year and after a couple of absolute corkers Serbia have hit rock bottom with this gimmick song, I cannot even see them qualifying for the Final.
The 5th song is the Polish ballad which to me just seems to get better and better every time I hear it. I loved Isis Gee in 2008 and felt that her song deserved to be a lot higher than joint last in the final, but I think this could do it.
The only downfall for the Polish singer is that they have to contend with the big favourite from Norway singing right after her. For the second year running Norway could actually be in the running for the top spot. Lots of fiddles and folky type music...again for me I cannot see why this song will not qualify!!
Cyprus one of the big under achievers in Eurovision sing 7th with quite a nice mid tempo ballad, unfortunately as much as I like this song I just cannot see it qualifying however I think a guaranteed 12 points from Greece may be on the cards!!!
Slovakia are back in the Eurovision family with their first entry in 11 years with a mid tempo ballad but somehow it just doesn’t work and if their live performance is anything to go by then they will be all over the place on the night.
However following the Slovakian entry we now go into a group of 7 songs which could all in theory qualify for the final. Starting with Denmark and a song written by Ronan Keating from Boyzone which is sung by a man who sounds like Ronan Keating too but its not!!!!
Slovenia have gone for something which I call Classical pop and something they have done before in 2007, a long instrumental leads to some powerful female vocals which could see a final spot on the horizon.
Hungary have gone for a total cheese fest with their entry and following 2 other singers who for one reason or another could not perform their respective songs could sneak into the final with this one, however I don’t think it will reach the heights of their 2007 entry.
The country to sing next is in my opinion the best entry this year from the former Soviet Republics and also a hot tip with the bookies......... Azerbaijan have sent a fantastic uptempo song with a big Latin influence and one that could appeal to the masses.
Another of the big favourites follows and that is Greece and you can’t under estimate the presence of their singer, not as good as 2004 entry but I am sure it will be in the final, especially with their 12 points from Cyprus!!
Lithuania have gone for a lovely ballad and in my opinion an under rated song and one that could do very well for the little country that doesn’t do very well.
Moldova have sent a dong which I hated to start with but the more I listen to it the more I love it and another that could suprise us on the night of the semi final!! Dancy, gimmicky and with a good performance could do well!
The first song confirmed for Moscow was from Albania, but unfortunately their is just no soul to this song for me...not nearly as good as last years entry and therefore Im not so sure it will be in the final.
Well Ukraine sing next and im sorry but after the past couple of years was expecting a lot more and have ended up being very disappointed, after finishing 2nd for the past 2 years I can’t even see them getting out of this semi final..... for me this is just abysmal.
Estonia sing last but one in this semi final with their best entry in years and I think will be the one to lift them out of the semi finals for the first time since they were introduced, another dark horse for the top spot of the grand final and in the same league as Slovenia but better.
Ending the 2nd semi final will be The Netherlands who over recent years have not done as well as they should have done, Grace, Edsilia and Hind unfortunately could not get them out of the semi final stage and Im sorry I just cannot see it happening here either.

So my 10 from here to the Final are:-

Norway, Ireland, Azerbaijan, Poland, Greece, Estonia, Denmark, Hungary, Slovenia and Croatia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just a Quick Note to our readers to say.......

Looking back

Why?!